Sunday, January 27, 2008

Klimt's art

Gustav Klimt is one of the renowned artists of the Modern era which covers the French Impressionists, Cubists, Fauvists and Surrealists. Klimt is the latest addition to my list of favorite foreign painters which includes Da Vinci, Warhol, Matisse, Chagall, Renoir, Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso, Dali, and Magritte. I just realized that almost all of my favorite painters are Modern artists (except Da Vinci, classical and Andy Warhol, contemporary.) I particularly like the way Modern artists use unusual techniques and daring themes. Its more of their own personal visions and ideas rather than rules and routine. These artists use color, dimension, and perception in a non-traditional way that I always thought to be very appealing and intriguing.

Looking up Klimt's work is what I have been up to lately ever since my blockmate, Jing showed me this rather expensive planner she got from Fully Booked featuring a few of Gustav Klimt's famous works. I really like the way he uses vivid colors in his portraits and his sort of Byzantium mosaic style is very captivating. His works are characterized by common themes of life, death, sex, and love. Here are a few of my favorite pieces. (please click the image for a larger view:)



Tree of Life
(notice the intricacy of his style and the underlying theme? asteeg!)


Adele Bloch-Bauer I
(his best portrait for me)


Beethoven Frieze (The Ode to Joy)


The Kiss
(its currently my PDA wallpaper:)


Water Snakes
(this one's on my laptop desktop:)

2 comments:

Paco said...

OOOOH KLIMT! He's one of my favorites too. He founded the Secession in Austria. His best works were those made during his "golden age" (when he still used the color of gold). One of them is the world famous "The Kiss," which interestingly beat Van Gogh's Sunflower as the most posted painting in student dorms. Interesting no??

Anonymous said...

jo, one of my projects is to have an adele bloch portrait imitated by a fine arts student with my face on it, hahaha! kacheapan but i will really do that. wala lang.

i like your blog! link my blog rin ha, although mine is anything but intellectual, hehehe.