Thursday, March 27, 2008

My old school anime cartoon fixes

Remember those days when we thrived in our television indulgence of dubbed animated series? This was during those times when TV stations used to broadcast valuable shows that leave us kids all addicted and glued to the tube. I was very fond of these Tagalized versions and even after several years, I can still recall those memorable scenes and episodes . The soundtracks, as silly as they may sound now, are simply great. They truly stand the test of time. Looking back, I never thought I'm that much addicted to watching TV! Here are some of my favorite shows that I religiously followed.

Sarah ang Munting Princessa
Who can ever forget princess Sarah and her life in Miss Minchin's boarding school for girls? The story is based upon the classic novel of Frances Hodgson Burnett, "A Little Princess". Sarah Crewe is the girl everyone loves and envies. She is kindhearted, pretty, intelligent, and has impeccable manners and elegant grace. She lives the life of a princess and everyone treated her well until her father died leaving her as an orphan. The head mistress, miss Minchin allowed her to stay in the boarding school as long as she works there as a maid. Henceforth, her life became tough and miserable. She still retained her true friendship with some of the girls like Lotty and Ermengarde and made new ones including Becky, a poor servant girl. Her sufferings were not for long as it turned out that she was not indeed a poor orphan girl.
I remember I used to hate Lavina so much. This show was really a big hit that a Philippine movie version was even made starring Camille Prats as Sarah and Angelica Panganiban as Becky. They were still cute and innocent back then.

Cedie ang Munting Principe
Another Frances Hodgson Burnett classic. The story revolves around an American boy named Cedric Errol, who finds out that the is the sole heir to a British earldom. He was taken from his mother and lived with his grandfather in their ancestral palace. This grandfather is a strict and cold aristocrat who despises his mother. Cedie was the one who taught his cold heart a little compassion, justice, and understanding. Eventually he learned to accept Cedie's mother.
What I remember most about the episodes in this series are those times with Cedie riding his pony, dreaming of being together with his mom, and his treasured moments with his granddad. Tom Taus starred as Cedie in the Philippine movie version. Yes, I watched it too. nyahaha

Von Trapp Family Singers
I think ABS is airing this series presently. Back then, I often wish to be part of their big happy family and replace that pretty blond emo girl (Brigitta, in the real movie version) who always cry and grieve the loss of her mother. haha. Kurt was also hilarious.




Cinderella
" kailan, hanggang kailan
Ito mananatiling panaginip

sabik na ko, sabik na ko sa iyong
yakap at halik…"

I looooooove Prinsepe Lenard! bow.
Of course everyone is familiar with the Cinderella story. This animated version however adds a different twist to the story. The prince and Cinderella already knew each other way before the ball and were really good friends. I would admit, the premise is quite stupid. Principe Lenard can make a complete disguise as a commoner just by not wearing his prince outfit and can go about the kingdom without being recognized by the common people as the prince. duh. Who are you kidding?! Even Cinderella's stepmom and step sisters who talked to the prince several times cant tell that Lenard is the prince. He didnt even use an alias or a pseudonym! But then again, I didn't care! I never missed a single episode of this series. I even remember doodling principe Lenard on my notebooks and writing about him in my diary. yech. hehehe


Remi (Dog of Flanders)
This is one tearjerker series. I hate it when pets die. First the monkey dies, but when Remi and Patrash died in the end, I got really emotional. I mourned their loss till now. huhuhu.








Si Maria at ang Lihim na Hardin
I dont remember vividly the scenes or episodes of this series but I remember watching it back then.







Peter Pan

Neverland has never been so magically created. I missed Peter Pan and his exploits.









Snow white

is so pretty and Principe Richard is so handsome. They look good together.






Julio at Julia
"Kapag uminog ang mundo
Iikot din ang buhay ng tao May saya at mayroong dusa Huwag lang tayo magpapatalo.. Si Julio at Julia
Kambal ng tadhana Di susuko sa pagsubok…"

An elementary friend and I used to pretend we were Julio and Julia. We would hold hands and imagine a kind of force field encapsulating us from the attacks of evil men! This series follows the quest of a chinese boy with a bad haircut, Julio and a European blond girl, Julia in their travels across different parts of Asia and Europe to fulfill their mission as the twins of destiny. Maybe they eventually got together in the end. The finale didn't say much.



Daddy Long Legs

Is this the one with Judy Abott? Im not so sure. My younger sister used to watch this a lot. It was during this time when I went crazy over cream puffs and dreamed of playing lacrosse! (hehe, anyone remember that episode?)







Marcelino Pan y Vino

I can hardly remember anything about this but I know this was among the TV shows I look forward to every morning.






Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
The best Gundam series ever! Heero, Quatre, Duo, Trowa, and Wufei. They are the five Gundam pilots. I got really crazy about Heero Yuy back then. I say move over princess Relena! This is a futuristic story when Earth is surrounded by orbiting space colonies. The Gundam mobile suits were sent to Earth to fight the tyranny of the Alliance military which is controlled by a secret society called Oz that is oppressing the colonists.
I wish I could find my sketchbook full of various gundam humanoids!





Princess Starla a
nd the Jewel Riders
I've a sparse recollection of this series but what I do remember is that my elementary friends and I used to assign the characters to each one and play pretend. Of course I'm Princess Starla! mwahaha.








Ghost Fighter

I really believe Dennis is gay (well, he is in fact androgynous). I wonder why a lot of girls like him so much. Maybe its because of the hair. hahaha. My favorite is Vincent.








Dragon Ball Z

The fight scenes were really awesome and the martial arts exhibition would take your breath away. Super sayan!!!!!!!! Ha-me-ha we- wei!!!!!!!!!! (hahaha, I'm not even sure if thats correct.)






Flying House
To those unfortunate beings who were not able to catch or who can't remember, this animated series is about three kids who found a house in the woods which transported them to the times of Jesus. The kids, Andy, Justine and Corky became real close friends of Jesus and witnessed the events that transpired in his life. I simply love this cartoon. I can still recall its opening and closing themes. And I am even a member of the Super kids club! I wish I could find all those freebies and newsletters they sent me. This series was dubbed in English by the way.




Superbook

In this series, a different set of kids are transported via a magical book which sends them to a particular time mentioned in the old testament of the bible. Somehow, I loved this better than Flying House. I think the old testament stories are more fun and interesting.








and of course, there's the occasional Daimos and Voltes V.

I wonder if anyone can relate to this post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember an anime/cartoon movie that involved little people living in a forest among mushrooms and toadstools? I tried to explain the movie to my brother, but he thinks I'm just crazy LoL All I can remember is that there is a toadstool girl who ventures into a big house in the forest where a human girl lives. They end up running away, building a small blaze of fire in the woods because it's rained, and they have berries. Sometime during the movie, the toadstool people build a large boat/ship that looks like it's made out of ice or glass, and they surprise some humans with it (the human girl?). The human girl also has orange/red shoulder-length hair and plays the piano. The characters are done in the same anime/cartoon fashion as Brock, Ash, and Misty from the Pokemon TV series. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the movie or the characters names. I was young when I saw, and I'm 22 now... Please help? LoL

Anonymous said...

huwwaaaat!!! All of them died...I never did finish the series....

Anonymous said...

nice list.. just a correction though, Remi is different from the Dog of Flanders. Remi is the Nobody's Child (a later version turned Remi into a girl).

Nelo is the boy from the Dog of Flanders.

Anonymous said...

Dog of Flanders was such a great anime. I remember watching this when i was 7 and it really got to me. The ending was sad and so poetic. I think the anime was better than the movie.

Unknown said...

I love all these cartoon series as well. I've been looking everywhere to buy all these series but I cannot find them. Would you know or can anybody tell me where I can buy these Filipino cartoon series in dvd?
thanks

Christine De Ramos said...

'''opppssss... wala si astroboy???

Anonymous said...

thanks for the post...brings back the memories :D thanks kelli really loves it

Anonymous said...

I loved Remi. Also Belle and Sebastian. There was another one from that time named Candy I believe. It was about a bit of a tomboyish girl sent to a boarding school. Anyone remember that one?