Saturday, March 22, 2008

Of board games and bitterness


When I was a kid, I was the ultimate champ of Monopoly. Well, that's partly because I quit the game bitterly when somebody else is likely going to win and when I do lose, I throw a murderous fit that scares everyone out of their wits. hahaha! My dad bought us the board game when I was about 7 or 8 years old and since then, it became one of our favorite pastimes. I never tire of playing Monopoly back then and I always coax my siblings to play the game with me. I always had it with the game. It's very rare that I don't get to buy Boardwalk and Park Place and own a railroad or two plus a few utilities. I make it a point that I buy smart and avoid getting those low-income properties. When I go to jail, I never stay in jail even if I had to pay to get out because I would lose opportunities when I spend more time in jail. I also try avoiding to mortgage properties and build more houses and hotels. In the end, I always turn out to be the winner.

Earlier today, I attended a workshop for Cashflow 101 moderators. Cashflow 101 is a board game designed by Robert Kiyosaki, the author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The idea of the game is to accumulate enough cash on hand to buy properties, stocks, shares, etc. The goal is to get out of the rat race and fulfill your dream. You will be able to get out of the rat race once your passive income is enough to make your monthly cash flow greater than your total expense. All your transactions will be recorded in your financial statement and buying sheet for stocks. This game is a little more complicated than monopoly, of course, but you don't have to be an accountant to play this game because the computations are very simple. Though Ive been to several Cashflow 101 seminars, today was only my second time to play the game and to my chagrin, I was not able to get out of the rat race. I could feel my inner child bursting with bitterness and tears. It was really funny because after the game I felt like crying. My mind was going like 'NO!! this can't be happening! I'm the queen of this kind of games!' hahaha! Thank God for maturity. Anyway, it was really a close call because I accumulated enough passive income already but I just ran out of good deals on my way around. The first time I played Cash flow 101 was back in 2006 and I was able to get out of the rat race. The moderators were even impressed in the way I played the game and how I handled my finances and deals. At that time my head was like in a singsong again saying "Yep! I still got it!" I still can't believe time and circumstance bailed out on me this time. Plus the fact that my age won't allow me to burst into a destructive tantrum.

No comments: